A few weeks ago, Borrell Associates, Local Media Association and Local Search Association hosted the “Fast Forward Video Summit” in Chicago. Two days of learning how to harness and leverage the power of video—specifically tailored to the local business marketplace! I wasn’t able to attend, but friends that attended were kind enough to share the insights with me, from Mark McMaster, who runs Google/YouTube’s Global Brand Activation unit.
These observations should resonate with any local business looking to advance their visibility online, with video being a major component!
- Real estate, automotive, food & dining, home repair, health & wellness and sports & leisure are the top categories on YouTube. Not far behind these are service businesses, professional businesses and retailers.
- There are millions of “how-to” videos on YouTube – this represents a tremendous opportunity for local business owners. Think: “episodic TV.”
- 45% of males 18-34 will visit YouTube TODAY (more than watched the Super Bowl).
- 18-34 year olds watch an average of 142 videos per month on YouTube.
- These 18-34 year olds spend 9.8 hours per month on YouTube.
- And their average watch time is 4.1 minutes.
- We are in the participation age – users are driving content!
- YouTube can offer precise targeting – for example, people looking to buy a car.
- Business owners must think like a content creator when creating video. But this is often outside of their comfort level. Local media companies can help them in a big way.
- Call First Impressions Video to discuss all your current and future video production needs! (Yes, this one is mine!)